In anticipation, perhaps, of today’s autumnal equinox, I went out yesterday and harvested herbs for drying. Based on my success with mint, I decided to cut and dry sage, rosemary (which had developed a couple of flowers), oregano and a teensy bit of thyme. I also decided to wait until I’m ready to bring in the bay laurel before I give it a trim.
Following the usual suggestions, I cut in the morning, and in short order my fingers were sticky with rosemary resin.
From left, sage, thyme (top), oregano, rosemary
I washed the herbs, spun them in my salad spinner, rolled them in a towel and then set them in a breezy, shady spot outdoors in hopes of drying all surface moisture before hanging them to dry in a dark closet. I chose a different location for hanging this time due to the change in the season’s light. (Meaning: I now have to keep my window shades open at night in hopes that a little of the dim early morning sun will filter in and help wake me. Since that works only a little bit, I’m afraid I’d forget to close them during the day and thus leave the herbs in the sun.)
I’ll let you know how these come out. I’m a little worried about the possibility of mold, given the thickness of the sage leaves and the density of the rosemary. Also, this new hanging spot is less airy than my bedroom. If anyone has any tips, let me know!