I forgot I had a potluck to attend last weekend, so I reached for an easy, reliable and always welcome recipe: Katharine Hepburn Brownies. You can find these brownies all over the Internet (at Patti Cakes, at Angelnina’s Cottage and The Gourmet Project, to name three). I found it in my Gourmet cookbook. You cannot, however, find these brownies left over after a potluck.
Katharine Hepburn brownies
- 2 squares (ounces) unsweetened chocolate
- 1 stick (1/4 pound) butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts (optional)
3. Stir in the flour and salt and walnuts, if desired.
4. Pour the batter into an buttered and floured 8-inch square pan. Bake 35-40 minutes at 325 degrees F or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool, then cut and serve. Makes 16-20 brownies (depending on how you cut them).