Some highlights of last night’s dinner with friends.
- Sweet corn at its fresh and local peak.
- Three kinds of pasture-raised meat (beef, goat, lamb) cooked over a fire fueled with wood from the same property.
- Homemade coffee ice cream with chocolate chunks.
- Fruit salad made entirely of fruit from friends’ farm. The fruits included plums, peaches, pluots and an unusual and pretty cucumber, seeded. Note to potential fruit growers: Someone asked Lynn whether fruit trees aren’t a lot of work, and her response, “Not if you ignore them.” Which is what she claims to do.
- Fresh, local tomatoes and basil.
Bliss. And to top off the fine food, birthday boy John Hulsey shared his art.
(Photo courtesy snapdragon at morguefile.com)